Thursday, November 13, 2008

God works in mysterious ways...Michael

I don't know that I've ever communicated these thoughts with anybody other than Jennifer before so you should feel like you are now a part of the circle of trust.  I have always felt very strong in my love for God but there have been times when I just didn't know exactly what it was that made up my belief system.  For the longest time I was a true Deist.  This is the belief that God has a plan for the universe but he will not interject guidance into our lives.  Those that hold this belief feel that God's greatest gift to us is our ability to think and therefore we don't need his guidance to find our way.  This was a oft-held belief of many of the founding fathers of our nation.  I held this belief because I never saw any evidence that he had answered a prayer or changed something.  I guess I wanted to see a burning bush or a parting of the waters before I believed in miracles.  This belief system began to falter about the time our boys came along.  Zach was truly our miracle baby and I know that he and Ryan are blessings that God Himself gave to us.

I started thinking today about all of the events that have led up to where we are now and I can't help but smile about the miracles that are happening around me.  Jennifer finding Lumpy was not impossible, but quite unlikely.  This was more a case of somebody that is quite aware of her body and health and being intelligent enough to know that it wasn't right.  But then the other things just started falling into place.  Our family doc (who I love and think he is great) doesn't have much of a sense of urgency over the lump and wants to do some investigating.  Jennifer isn't happy with this so she proactively goes to our local hospital at night.  They can get her in, they do scans, and have docs there (at night) to read the scans and they both tell her to go to a surgeon at Baylor.  The next morning we call this guy who is apparently is as good as anybody, anywhere and he can get us in within 2 hours.  This guy only offices out of Baylor once a week and we can get in that fast.  He gets us in and puts a whirlwind of things in place that have Jennifer having a biopsy and then chemo within 2 weeks.  When all of this is completed, she will have gone from finding a lump in her leg to completing treatment in exactly 2 months to the day.  One of the oncologists told us that there was no way that we should be in his office that quickly.  He was astonished at the way everything just aligned.  Miracles don't have to be laying hands on the blind and then they can see.  Our miracle was God putting us exactly where we needed to be and with whom we needed to be at just the right times.  

This is a great end to this story.  In Zach's prayer tonight he asked God to help his Mom's hair grow back quickly and then said, "but we know that she loves us so much".  Then after prayers Jennifer asked who wanted donuts tomorrow.  I have a tradition that I go get donuts for the boys every Friday as a celebration for a good week.  I told them, jokingly, that I decided not to do it tomorrow so Zach said that Mom could do it instead.   Then Ryan told Jennifer that she will need to wear her wig because they won't let her in the donut store without hair.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My goodness, I just read Jen's note...the tears were flowing...I read your note and the tears flowed and then an eruption of laughter...kids always have just the right perspective! No hair = no donuts. Love it! We hope you all have a blessed Friday...Thank you for letting us in on your journey.
Much love, Jenn, Mark, Ashley & Luke

Becca said...

Michael & Jenn...thank you both so much for sharing this...I know how private it all must be, but not only is it awesome to see the works God is doing in your lives...it is also an inspiration to our family! It shows us to stop and slow down and appreciate each other & God and the miracles he works so often that we sometimes miss! Thank you so much! Jen, I hope you get well fast and that cold does not stay around! Love you all! Becca

James Underwood said...

Hey Michael, its me- SRLion/IndianCoach, you all are in our prayers, both our family and our church as I put your wife and your family on our church prayer list this week. I will check in for updates.

In Christian Love,
James