Saturday, November 8, 2008

Amazing Friends








I knew that I worked in a very special place that was filled with wonderful people. I knew that they were taking care of everything while I was away and I was already so touched by the emails & cards that had come home with Zach. Yesterday was a day that I will never forget... one of those days in which the support that I felt from my friends reached an entire new level.


Kim picked me up around 4:00... I knew I was going somewhere (Michael told me to shower and clean myself up- ha) but I had no idea what was about to happen. She drove me to the neighborhood near my school and as we turned a corner, I saw a house with tons of people standing in the front yard. They were holding a big yellow banner that read "So Long Lumpy" and I couldn't believe that those were all of my friends from school, standing there cheering for me! The word overwhelmed comes to mind, but I don't even think that word can explain the way that I felt. I had been worrying about school, worrying about little things... and here were my friends, letting me know that they were behind me in true Martha Reid Elementary fashion.


Each team took on a different "theme" and the gifts they gave were unbelieveable. We are all set now with gift cards for meals, entertainment for the boys & reading material for me, scarves for my bald head, money to have someone clean my house, and even gas money for our drives to Dallas. I am humbled by their generosity. They have taken care of everything.


Last night I couldn't stop thinking about how blessed I am. I feel that God put me in such a special place at this point in my life and sent these wonderful people to help me through. They were doing what they are best at... taking care of others and somehow knowing exactly how to help. Even in the midst of this obstacle, they make me feel like a very lucky girl.




3 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, that is so awesome Jennifer! What a blessing, you deserve it!
~M

Dave and Gail said...

M J Allen & the Boys:

Sorry it took so long to get this to you. However, if you talk to Mike and Kim, you will know exactly how technically impaired Dave is (ha). I'm very glad you have all your friends and family around you. You are very blessed!!! And I think your blog is very brave and we are really impressed with your strength.

Love you guys.

Dave & Gail Reeves

JENNA said...

Jennifer,
That is such an incredible thing to have, friends that are there completely to help take care of their friend. The pictures made me tear up and I am so happy that you have such incredible people in your life. I am praying for you guys as always and keep you in my thoughts. You are an inspiration to us all. Hang in there. Jenna